Friday, February 12, 2016

DIY Beauty Products...Getting Started


Hello!  Today, I wanted to share a few tips for getting started when it comes to making your own beauty products.  The whole realm of DIY products is completely overwhelming.  Trust me, I spent hours searching blogs and Youtube to try and figure out where to start.  So far, I've made my own body butter, shampoo, eye cream, and sugar scrub.  I'm going to make a face cream in the near future.  One thing you should know is starting out might be expensive but it's going to be cheaper in the long run, much cheaper.  So here are a few things I would purchase first. (I have included the links where you can purchase these items.)

This is the one I would purchase just because it's unscented.  I purchased the almond the first time because that was recommended on a blog.  If I had to do it again I would go for the unscented.  The almond isn't bad, it just covers up the fragrances I add to shampoos and body washes.  So on my next purchase, it will be this.  The reason I suggest purchasing Liquid Castille Soap is because it can be used for so many things from soaps to cleaning supplies.  It's all natural with no harmful ingredients.  I have made three batches of shampoo and one batch of body wash, and still have over half of the bottle left.

This bottle of Almond oil is $10.  Its extremely cheap for so many different uses.  I've used it in shampoos, body butter, sugar scrubs, and as a carrier oil for essential oils.  It is super moisturizing.  





These are a few oils I would start with, well I did start with.  I now have a lot more.  We use lavender all. the. time.  I put it in shampoos and creams.  We also diffuse it at night when we go to bed.  It really helps with sleep.  Erik is the one that loves it at night, not me.  Not that I'm complaining, I'm telling you it really works.  Peppermint oil is awesome.  We diffuse it too mixed with the Eucalyptus. It really helps you to breathe better and smells so good.  I've used peppermint to treat headaches and back spasms.  I mixed it in some olive oil and applied it to my head or my back and it works.  It really and truly took the pain away.  I couldn't believe it.  That sort of sold me on the whole essential oil thing.  

As far as where I'm now purchasing oils from, it's Rocky Mountain Oils.  I put weeks of research into which company had the best essential oils.  There are tons of articles on the internet on it.  There are books written about it.  I started out using Aura Cacia oils because they were at Toucan where I shop. I still use some of them because I haven't run out yet.  They worked but I found the Rocky Mountain oils to be more potent.  The lavender was such a huge difference from what I purchased at Toucan, I was sold on their products.  I will go more into why I chose Rocky Mountain Oils in a future post.

Other Household Items

Many household items can be used in beauty products and you can find them at the grocery store.  You probably have some of them in your pantry.  Here are some that I use quite often.

Sugar (I use Raw Organic)
Olive Oil
Coconut Milk
Coconut Oil
Vitamin E Capsules
Vanilla Extract (100 percent pure and organic)
Raw Honey
Apple Cider Vinegar 

So there you go.  Those are just a few items to get you started.  I hope this post helps.  Keep in mind, that I'm just starting out too.  I am going to share this adventure with you including the fails.  Ha.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails